Petition To Include The Killer Whale Known As Lolita In The Endangered Species Act Listing Of Southern Resident Killer Whales
January 24, 2014:We announced a 12-month finding and proposed rule to revise the endangered listing of the Southern Resident killer whale distinct population segment to include Lolita, a female killer whale captured from the Southern Resident population in 1970, who resides at the Miami Seaquarium in Miami, Florida. The notice proposes to amend the ESA listing of Southern Resident killer whales by removing the exclusion for captive members of the population and opens a public comment period.
NOAA Fisheries is seeking scientific and commercial information pertaining to this proposed rule. Comments can be submitted electronically through the Federal e-Rulemaking Portal - http://www.regulations.gov/#!documentDetail;D=NOAA-NMFS-2013-0056-1841 and click the “Comment Now!" Icon. All public comments must be received prior to March 28, 2014.
- January 24, 2014, Federal Register notice 273kb
- Questions & Answers on 12-month finding on petition to include Lolita in the ESA listing of the Southern Resident killer whales
- Press Release3.76kb
- References for 12-month finding13.8kb
Apr. 29, 2013: We accepted a petition to include the captive killer whale known as Lolita in the Endangered Species Act (ESA) listing of Southern Resident killer whales. We are soliciting scientific and commercial information about Lolita's status to ensure that our ongoing status review is comprehensive. Acceptance of this petition doesn't presuppose any particular outcome.
- Apr. 29, 2013, Federal Register notice210kb
- Question & Answers on petition to include Lolita in the ESA listing of Southern Resident killer whales
- Media Advisory 15.4kb
- PETA petition to include Lolita in ESA listing of Southern Resident killer whales 20.6MB
- References for acceptance of Lolita petition 6.5kb
Comments received on the 90-day finding on the Lolita petition are posted to Regulations.gov. In the "Search" box, enter the docket number, "NOAA-NMFS-2013-0056" and click on the "Search" button. Click on the "Public Submission" box under "Document Type