Critical Habitat for Southern Resident Killer Whales
February 24, 2015: NOAA Fisheries announced a 12-month finding on a petition to revise the Critical Habitat Designation for the Southern Resident killer whale distinct population segment is warranted. After reviewing the petition, public comments, and the best available information, we intend to proceed with a revision to critical habitat. We outline in the Federal Register notice next steps for collecting and analyzing data, and for developing a proposed rule to revise critical habitat expected in 2017.
- February 24, 2015, Federal Register notice
- Questions and Answers on 12-month finding on petition to revise Critical Habitat for Southern Resident killer whales
- References on 12-month finding
April 24, 2014: NOAA accepted a petition and will consider whether revising critical habitat for Southern Resident killer whales is warranted. We requested information on habitat needs and the West Coast area proposed for inclusion as critical habitat and opened a public comment period that ended on June 24, 2014.
- April 24, 2014, Federal Register notice
- Questions & Answers on 90-day finding on petition to revise critical habitat for Southern Resident killer whales
- Press Release
- Petition to revise critical habitat designation
- References for 90-day finding
Comments received on information on habitat needs and the West Coast area proposed for inclusion as critical habitat are posted to Regulations.gov. In the "Search" box enter the docket number, "NOAA-NMFS-2014-0041" and click the "Public Submission" box under the Document Type heading on the left side of the screen.
November 29, 2006: NOAA Fisheries designated final ESA critical habitat for the Southern Resident killer whales.
- Federal Register notice
- Critical Habitat Map
- GIS Dataset
- Biological Report
- Economic Analysis
- ESA section 4(b)(2) Report
- Chronology Of Killer Whale Actions
The dataset is intended to provide the public with a general basemap of areas designated as critical habitat for these whales. Every attempt has been made to ensure the accuracy of the information depicted; however maps produced from this dataset DO NOT constitute a legal description of critical habitat. For exact legal descriptions of the areas designated as critical habitat (as well as the specific areas not designated) please consult the NOAA Fisheries