Information on Makah Tribal Whale Hunt
2005 Makah Request for MMPA Waiver
- Appendix A of the Application (Needs Statement) 27.1MB
- Appendix B of the Application (1855 Treaty of Neah Bay) 182kb
Our first step in evaluating the request was to develop a draft environmental impact statement (DEIS) in accordance with the provisions of the National Environmental Policy Act, which we released for public comment in May 2008 but later terminated it in May 2012 to begin developing a new DEIS because of substantial new scientific information central to our consideration of the tribe's request and our NEPA evaluation. In March 2015 we released a new DEIS that considers that new information and public input from our previous requests for comment.
Draft Environmental Impact Statements (DEIS)
- 2015 DEIS 13 MB
- May 29, 2015 EPA Notice of Comment Period Extension to July 31, 2015
- March 13, 2015 EPA Notice of DEIS Availability
- March 20, 2015 NOAA Fisheries Notice of Public Meetings and Request for Comments on the DEIS
- Press Release
- Dear Reviewer Letter
- Libraries where you can view the complete draft EIS
- The public comment period for this DEIS has been extended and now expires on July 31, 2015. Comments can be submitted by email to: Makah2015DEIS.email@example.com
- Public Meetings were held as follows:
- Mon April 27th, 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm, NOAA Western Regional Center, Building 9 (Kelly C. Sandy III Auditorium), 7600 Sand Point Way, NE, Seattle, WA 98115.
- Wed April 29th, 6:30 pm - 9:30 pm, Vern Burton Memorial Community Center, 308 East 4th Street, Port Angeles, WA.
- Public comments received on the 2008 DEIS
- Public comments on the 2015 DEIS are being posted at www.regulations.gov under Docket ID# NOAA-NMFS-2012-0104.