Guide:Permits & Permits Transfer

When the Coastal Pelagic Species Fishery Management Plan was implemented, it established limited entry permit requirements. In 2003, Amendment 10 provided for the ability of these permits to be transferred and established the framework and requirements associated with transferring a permit. It also established a capacity goal for the limited entry fleet by using a proxy based upon the aggregate gross tonnage(GT) of the existing fleet.

Permit Requirements
Permits are required to harvest (take and retain, possess or land) more than five metric tons of coastal pelagic finfish, other than for use as live bait, on a harvesting vessel within the coastal pelagic species limited entry zone. The CPS Limited Entry Zone means the exclusive economic zone between:

Northern boundary-at 39 degrees N. latitude off California (Pt Arena)

Southern boundary-the United States-Mexico International Boundary

Permit Transfers
Permits can be transferred to another vessel of comparable capacity, which is defines as the gross tonnage of the permitted vessel plus 10 percent.

Permits can be combined up to a greater level of capacity in cases where the vessel from which the permit is originated.

There is only one transfer allowed per calendar year

All transfers must be authorized by the NOAA Fisheries West Coast Region, Sustainable Fisheries Division

Fleet Capacity
The maximum harvesting capacity level is 5,933.5 gross tons, which is based on the gross tons of each permitted vessel calculated from the length, width, and depth as recorded in the Coast Guard documentation records. As long as the fleet capacity is under this capacity level, transfers are allowed


For more information on Coastal Pelagic Species, contact Joshua Lindsay at or 562.980.4034.
For more information or questions on Permits, contact our Permits Coordinator at 562.980.4238.

Permit FAQ 19kb