Middle Columbia River Steelhead
DPS Definition: This distinct population segment, or DPS, includes naturally spawned anadromous O. mykiss (steelhead) originating below natural and manmade impassable barriers from the Columbia River and its tributaries upstream of the Wind and Hood Rivers (exclusive) to and including the Yakima River; excludes such fish originating from the Snake River basin. This DPS does include steelhead from seven artificial propagation programs:
- Touchet River Endemic Program
- Yakima River Kelt Reconditioning Program (in Satus Creek, Toppenish Creek, Naches River, and Upper Yakima River)
- Umatilla River Program (Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife (ODFW) Stock #91)
- Deschutes River Program (ODFW Stock #66).
- This DPS does not include steelhead that are designated as part of an experimental population.
Current Population Trends:
- Salmon Population Trends Summaries
- Salmon Population Summary Database
- 5-Year Salmon Status Review 767kb
Critical Habitat: Designated Sept. 2, 2005 1.2MB
Protective Regulations: Issued June 28, 2005 295kb
Reintroduction Effort: Experimental Population Designation
Steelhead Maps & GIS Data